Stochastic Processes WS 17/18
News[09.11.17] There will be no lecture on Thursday, the 16th of November.
[09.11.17] Exercise H2 of sheet 4 has been formulated more precisely.
[09.10.17] There will be a lecture instead of an exercise class on Tuesday in the first week. (17th of October)
Times and locations
|Lecture:||Monday 14:10-15:50||B004||Christian Hirsch|
|Exercise Class:||Tuesday 14:15-16:00||B004||Thomas Beekenkamp|
RegistrationPlease register for the course here.
Exercises and HomeworkSheets:
|Sheet 1||Tuesday, October 24th||Solutions|
|Sheet 2||Monday, October 30th||Solutions|
|Sheet 3||Tuesday, November 7th||Solutions|
|Sheet 4||Tuesday, November 14th|
|Sheet 5||Tuesday, November 21st|
|Sheet 6||Tuesday, November 28th|
The exercise sheets are posted every Tuesday, the homework will be due on the next Tuesday at 14:00. Please put your homework in homework box 56 on the first floor, or hand it in during the exercise class.
You can get a bonus for your grade, the height of which depends on the amount of points obtained from the homework exercises, with thresholds at 50% and 75% of the total amount of points. To keep track of your points it is necessary that you are registered for the course. The homework is to be handed in individually, but working together is strongly encouraged.
The homework will be graded by Florian Ingerl, he can be reached at imelflorianingerl [AT] gmail [DOT] com. It will be handed back in the exercise class in the next week.
Course OutlineThe following topics will be treated in the course:
- Basic Notions
- Brownian motion
- Markov chains
- Feller processes
- Interacting particle systems
- Poisson point processes
LiteratureThe main book for this course is
- T.M. Liggett, Continuous Time Markov Processes, AMS 2010.
- L.B. Koralov and Ya. Sinai, Theory of Probability and Random Processes, 2nd edition, Springer 2010.
- An alternative presentation of the material
- A. Klenke, Probability Theory, Springer 2014.
- An even different presentation of the material, also available in German
- P. M├Ârters, Y. Peres, Brownian Motion, Cambridge University Press 2010. Link
- Specifically for the chapter on Brownian motion
- D.A. Levin, Y. Peres, E.L. Wilmer, Markov Chains and Mixing Times, AMS 2009. Link
- Specifically for the chapter on Markov chains
- G. Last and M. Penrose, Lectures on the Poisson Process, 2017. Link
- Lecture notes on Poisson processes and point processes
- R. Durrett, Probability. Theory and Examples, 4th edition, Cambridge University Press 2010. Link
- Contains all the basics in probability theory