Linux on the HP Pavilion ZV 6000
Some general remarks at the beginning:
- The HP Pavilion ZV6000 is sold in several versions; the precise type of my notebook is ZV6017EA.
- This particular notebook comes with an AMD-Sempron microprocessor with a 32-bit architecture. Problems are reported with AMD-Athlon processors with 64-bit architecture.
- The notebook contains an ATI soft modem with a Conexant-HSF chipset. Informations about this you can obtain with the command "lspci -v" by comparison with "lspci -nv". In this way, one finds the following data for my notebook:
- Vendor ID: 1002 (ATI)
- Device ID: 4378
- SubVendor ID: 103c (Hewlett-Packard)
- SubDevice ID: 3085
- Revision: 01
- After configuring the modem with YaST, /dev/modem is a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS3. That this is the case is a strong hint that the configuration is not working yet. The correct interface, /dev/ttySHSF0, does not exist in this configuration.
- Find out the precise kernel version by entering "uname -r" into a shell. My kernel version is 22.214.171.124-20a-default; it appears that at the moment there are problems from version 2.6.12 on.
- Download the correct driver from http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php as a gzip RPM-archive.
- Follow the installation instructions by Linuxant, i.e., unzip the RPM-archive as root and install the arising file with the command rpm -i file.rpm
The following web pages contains further information concerning Linux on the HP Pavilion ZV6000:
- Last modification: February 21, 2006